I am running campaigns to:
Save Theale Library. West Berkshire Council are proposing to close all their libraries, except that in Newbury to save money. The proposed closures include Theale. They are consulting on the closures until 7th March. It is very important for everyone who cares about Theale Library to respond to the consultation urgently. Possible reasons include:
- difficulty of getting to Newbury library by public transport for those without use of a car
- expense of getting to Newbury library will put off those on low incomes or benefits
- closures will stop children attending literacy sessions
- Make life very difficult for those who use computers in libraries to access the housing list and universal benefit websites
- closures will have a large negative impact on older people who rely on libraries for reading matter
- closures of branch libraries will discourage children from reading
But please add your own reasons!
Please take part in the consultation, then sign my petition to Save Theale Library.
Stop the Lloyds Bank branch in Theale High Street from closing. Lloyds Bank have announced that they are planning to close their Theale branch on 8th June. This is the only bank in Theale and closure would cause hardship for both local businesses and residents:
- Local businesses would no longer be able to deposit cash at the bank
- Closure would particularly affect pensioners and those without cars as the nearest branch (in Tilehurst) is very difficult to reach by public transport and it is extremely likely that West Berkshire Council will withdraw their support for the few buses between Theale and Tilehurst in the next few months.
Lloyds are also proposing to remove their cash machines. I am raising a petition asking Lloyds to reverse their closure decision and keep the branch open. You can sign the online version of the petition here.
Make the first 30 minutes of parking in the Theale High Street West car park free. On-street parking near the post office is difficult and it currently costs at least 40p to park in this nearby small car park (this will probably be increased in the next few months). I am therefore raising another petition asking for the first 30 minutes of parking in this car park to be free of charge. You can sign the online version of this petition here.